Thursday, February 21, 2013

Who The Hell Is Bruce Hotchkiss?

Let's clear one thing up - I am a born in the USA guy. My meanderings through life have confused people as to just where I am from. Mostly I've just let them be confused. But I'll try to clear things up.

I was born on March 28, 1949, in New Britain General Hospital, New Britain, CT to Elaine C. Hotchkiss (nee Clark) and William C. Hotchkiss. When I was about 2.5 years old we moved to Coventry, CT where I lived until 1969 (with a short stay in Bridgeport, CT in 1960/61).

In February 1969 I was drafted into the US Army, a situation I did not appreciate. Over the July 4th weekend of 1969 I went to Canada. I lived in Canada until December 1990, and I became a Canadian citizen in 1977.

I was arrested in 1976 as I flew to the USA and spent a couple of months in a military jail, first in Illinois and then at Fort Carson, CO. I was released, returned to Canada, and was given an Undesirable Discharge in 1977.

In 1984, I took a job in San Jose, CA. The job did not last but while in the USA the US government tried to take my US citizenship away, claiming that by being a citizen of another country automatically meant giving up my US citizenship (funny that it doesn't work that way for everyone but that's another story). I appealed the decision and by a vote of 4 to 3 I won my case. I was only in San Jose for about 3 months.

In December 1990, I moved to the San Francisco area and lived there until I retired and moved to Las Vegas, NV in January 2011.

I was born a citizen of the US and I am still a citizen of the US. I do not know if I still hold Canadian citizenship.

I am proud of everywhere I've lived. My families have a long history in Connecticut. I consider Coventry my hometown. I lived in Ottawa, Pickering, and Toronto, Ontario and have fond memories of all.

Although legally a US citizen I prefer to think of myself as a world citizen, influenced by everywhere I've been.

No comments:

Post a Comment