Sunday, February 24, 2013

Ottawa FBI

During my time in Canada I knew the FBI and probably the US Army was looking for me. This was confirmed soon after I applied for Landed Immigrant Status (permanent status). I received a notice in the mail to call Canadian Immigration. When I called I was transferred to someone who identified himself as an FBI agent. He wanted to know what my intentions were, did I intend to stay in Canada. I'm pretty sure I told him to go fuck himself and hung up. Canadian Immigration was at that time in trouble for too much cooperation with the FBI over the US "draft dodgers" and I heard nothing else about it.

In August 1971 my father died. I was stunned. I remember talking to my grandmother, his mother, who told me to not even consider coming home for the funeral because "they" would be waiting for me. I don't know if it's true or not but there were rumors that some guys in suits were on the periphery and thought my brother was me.

It's kind of funny that the Federal government spent time and money looking for draft dodgers and those of us considered deserters. At the height of the Vietnam war there were an estimated 50,000 young men and women from the United States living in Canada. I was just one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment